This is something like the third Opening Day of the season, after the “official” Opening Day, and the Opening Day where full capacity fans were allowed. Now we have the second half officially underway with an exciting race on the horizon.
Yesterday’s baseball: The void
Today’s baseball: Eli Morgan vs. Chris Bassitt
Cleveland baseball news
Cleveland superpowers: J-Ram is ‘Superman’ | MLB
Everybody wants a piece of José Ramírez.
Aaron Civale’s passion for LEGOs fits right in with STEM campers at Great Lakes Science Center | Cleveland
How can you not love Aaron Civale? He recently volunteered to help kids with LEGOs at a local STEM camp. One surprising fact: Civale says he always built by the book. I would have pegged him as a kid who made giant builds out of a pile of random pieces.
Around the league
- The Braves acquired Joc Pederson from the Cubs.
- Next week’s Orioles-Rays game will be called by only women, a first in baseball. ($)
- Yankees prospect Jasson Dominguez is, uh, still working on his sliding game.
- The Mets are bringing back their black jerseys for the first time in almost a decade.
- Yankees-Red Sox was the only game scheduled yesterday, but it was postponed due to a COVID outbreak on the Yankees.
- The Rockies’ general manager insists they are not a “farm team” for other organizations. Keep this article handy when they trade Trevor Story in a couple weeks.
Weekly Discord reminder plug
Welcome back to a segment of the Friday news and notes where I remind you that we have a Covering the Corner Discord and it’s cool and you should be there. Click here to join.