Here’s hoping for more good news than bad this week for our country and planet.
These are my favorite from the old journalist. From Terry Pluto:
OK, here are some scribbles left over from Goodyear that actually have to do with baseball:
1. The two best pitchers I checked out were Aaron Civale and Shane Bieber. That’s important, especially Civale. Bieber threw 7 2/3 scoreless innings this spring, two hits, one walk, nine strikeouts... looked like an All-Star Game MVP, as he was last year.
2. Civale pulled a groin muscle in spring training, something he told me that he’s dealt with before. He allowed one run (one hit) in five innings, nine strikeouts. Civale said he has three different fastballs and is learning how to use his pitches better.
3. Manager Terry Francona on Civale: “For a young kid, he has an amazing self-awareness of what he wants to do.”
Gose throws hard. He’s got a long way to go though.
Around the League
- Red Sox lawyer hints team knows and disagrees with results of MLB’s sign-stealing investigation
- Marlins Park to be used for drive-thru coronavirus testing
- Assessing the decisions MLB will have to make from the fan’s perspective
- Freedie Freeman hits backyard homer off son