Here’s to a week with more good than bad.
What’s up with team name? - Terry Talkin’ Tribe | cleveland.com
The name change isn’t expected to be finalized until the 2022 season. From Terry Pluto:
I was told the Paul Dolan ownership team is still “talking to various people” about the name, adding “no final decision has been made.”
The Indians have talked to Native American groups, sponsors, civic leaders and others as they ponder the name change. But in this political climate, the Tribe is not about to say, “Never mind, we’re not changing anything.”
A change will be coming. Here is what I’ve been hearing:
1. At some point in the next few months, the Indians will announce “we plan to change the name.”
2. They will not announce the name without working to engage fans, sponsors and others in finding a new name for the franchise.
3. It won’t be a simple change to “the Tribe.” They want to move away from anything close to a Native American reference.
Mike Freeman elects free agency | MLB Trade Rumors
The utility man could be back.
Around the League
- Top free agents available at each position
- J.D. Martinez will not opt out of Red Sox contract
- Negotiations with Nelson Cruz start for Twins during uncertain offseason
- Rare Honus baseball card sells for over $1.4 million at auction