Happy Friday, everyone!
Indians 8, Royals 4
The Cleveland bullpen did some heavy lifting after an early exit by Zach Plesac. Their work, combined with a couple of home runs by Mr. Angry Hamster, helped lead the Tribe to a sweep of the Royals.
This year’s Home Run Derby lineup is stacked, but here are some reasons that folks outside of Cleveland should be rooting for Carlos Santana (because I assume you all already are).
The hometown hero is slotted in as a 7-seed and will face off against Pete Alonso in round 1.
Dan Raker has been to three All-Star games in Cleveland. Here are some of his fondest memories.
Around the league
- Joe Maddon was tossed and is not a fan of the Pittsburgh pitching.
- Yolmer Sanchez exited Thursday’s game with a hand injury.
- Brandon Lowe will miss the All-Star Game due to a bruised right shin. Gleyber Torres will take his place.
- JaCoby Jones is on the IL with a lower back strain.
- Juan Nicasio is on the IL with a left groin strain.
- The minor league Mets had a firework show go wrong and start a fire.
- Local artists in Venice created an amazing mural in honor of Tyler Skaggs.
- Maybe one day, Ohtani:
Shohei Ohtani said didn’t receive an invitation to the Home Run Derby. Is it something he’d like to do someday?— Fabian Ardaya (@FabianArdaya) July 4, 2019
"Maybe once I start hitting home runs and become a home run hitter, I'll be able to participate,” Ohtani, who’s hit 34 HR in 153 career games as a hitter, said.