For what seems like the 1000th time in the past couple years, the Indians played like hot garbage on a Tuesday, losing 11-2 in St. Louis last night. So we will begin by talking about a former Indian:
Gio Urshela, DFA’d by the Indians early last month, only lasted a handful of weeks with the Toronto Blue Jays. He put up very similar offensive numbers as he has in previous years, so Toronto’s DFA of him yesterday was hardly a surprise. Urshela batted .233/.283/.326 with the Jays and made 1 error in just over 100 innings.
There still isn’t any room for him on the Indians roster, so I assume he will either be traded elsewhere or outrighted to Toronto’s AAA ballclub in a few days.
• The Kevin Cash Rays continued their run of strong pitching, topping Max Scherzer 1-0
• Lorenzo Cain was placed on the DL by Milwaukee
• Jose Ramirez continues to do things that have rarely been done
• Corey Kluber struggled yesterday, but if he’s injured, nobody is admitting it
• Josh Donaldson suffered a setback
The typical silver linings
• The Twins lost (to the White Sox)
• The Tigers lost (to the Athletics)
The 27-51 White Sox picked up a game on everybody. You’ve still got a shot, ChiSox! Be like the 2017 Royals and buy at the deadline!!