Happy Sunday, everyone!
Indians 5, Cubs 1
Cleveland sent two squads against the Chicago Cubs on Saturday, and one of them featured a solid five innings for Trevor Bauer and a grand slam from Roberto Perez.
Indians 4, Cubs 11
The other game on Saturday was not as fun for the Cleveland Indians. Ryan Merritt got battered for eight earned runs in just three innings. The offense only managed six hits, including two more for the red hot Jason Kipnis and a home run from Mike Napoli.
With his recent inside-the-park home run, Eric Haase has been getting a bit more notoriety in a system that is often dominated by the current MLB duo of Yan Gomes/Roberto Perez and top catching prospect Francisco Mejia.
He has yet to play in a major league spring training game, but Michael Brantley continued to show signs of life in a minor league game yesterday when he belted his first home run.
Lonnie Chisenhall and Jose Ramirez became the latest additions to the “nursing injuries” list on Saturday. Other members of this club include Danny Salazar, Michael Brantley, Yan Gomes, and Brandon Guyer.
Taking Salazar out of the rotation means he wouldn’t have a regular routine, and that could prove difficult for Danny given his recent history with arm injuries.
Around the league
- Oh look, MLB completely blew a story about Aaron Judge out of proportion. Color me shocked.
- Jharel Cotton will undergo Tommy John surgery this year.
- Shohei Ohtani may still have some adjusting to do after all.
- Braden Halladay, son of Roy Halladay, had his first spring outing and it went wonderfully.
- The Yankees, Tigers and the White Sox have announced their Opening Day starters.