Happy Sunday, Tribe fans!
Indians 8, Padres 8
A tie? A TIE?! What is this garbage?! Oh yeah, it’s a spring training game and the results are less than meaningless. The most notable thing from this game was Yandy Diaz finally showing off his power with a grand slam to right field. He’d end the night with 2 hits and 5 RBIs. Oh, and Eric Hosmer went 0-for-3, so that was cool.
Since Josh Tomlin is great at not allowing runners to take extra bases against him, Tito is trying a new defensive strategy.
I’d say the safe money is still on Yan Gomes, but Roberto Perez is no slouch behind the plate and could definitely make a case to be the starting backstop for the Cleveland Indians this season. If either can hit above the Mendoza line, I’ll consider it a win.
Jordan Bastian sits down to talk with Yonder Alonso about how it feels to be in the Indians’ clubhouse, his newfound role as a father, and the launch angle movement.
Around the league
- Ryan Braun is willing to play 1B for the Brewers, but he’s not comfortable with it just yet.
- Dick Enberg was remembered by many.
- Jorge Bonifacio has been suspended for 80 games for testing positive for PEDs.
- Mike Moustakas was happy to be back with the Royals (although I’m sure he would’ve also been happy with the extra $10.9 million that Boras cost him).
- Dave Martinez has the Nationals practicing for walk-off home runs.
- Lance Lynn and the Twins agreed to a 1-year/$12 million contract.