Happy Sunday, Tribe fans! Here’s to a fantastic week filled with Tribe baseball and no injuries.
Indians 11, Diamondbacks 2
The Tribe piled up 18 hits and 11 runs against the Diamondbacks yesterday as they got their first win of the spring. Of those 18 hits, 4 of them were home runs and 3 of those home runs came in the ninth inning (which means that David Carpenter currently has a cool ERA of 135.00).
Instead of bouncing between the infield and outfield this spring, Yandy Diaz is working exclusively at playing third base in order to be the backup to Jose Ramirez.
With no options remaining, limited bullpen spaces, and a handful of pitchers slotted in front of him in the rotation, Ryan Merritt has a lot to do this spring if he is to remain with the Cleveland Indians come Opening Day.
It was assumed that Yonder Alonso would take over for the recently departed Carlos Santana, but a leaned-out Bobby Bradley will try to force his way into the Indians starting lineup over the course of the spring.
Around the league
- Place your bets on how long until the hot takes about Ohtani start.
- Will Middlebrooks was carted off the field on Saturday with an apparent ankle/leg injury.
- Rays prospect Brent Honeywell will have to have Tommy John surgery to repair a torn UCL in his right arm.
- Jonathan Schoop of the Orioles has elbow bursitis.
- A medical issue is holding up the JD Martinez deal.
- Curt Schilling is still a piece of garbage.
- WE MISS YOU, MICKEY.