Well, all the loud-mouthed dummies (the author included amongst them) can finally, enthusiastically be to to shut it. After a mediocre start to the second half, the Indians swept an entire homestand. And though they somehow only managed to gain a half game on the Royals, things seem to finally be looking up in Tribe Town.
Indians 2, Angels 1
A rare gem by Trevor Bauer and the continued hot hitting of Carlos Santana helped the Indians sweep the LA Trouts in the last game of this short homestand. Also, don’t look now, but a certain team may be sitting pretty with the 4th best record in MLB currently.
The Indians are on the verge of cutting down their six-man rotation, and Trevor Bauer’s name appeared to be first on the chopping block. He needed a big game yesterday to prove his worth, and boy did he ever “clutch up” in the words of Tito Francona.
Francisco Lindor is riding a seven-game hitting streak. The Indians are in the midst of a seven-game winning streak. Coincidence?! ... ... ... yeah, it’s probably coincidence. But still, it’s hard to deny that it sure feels like those two things go together for a reason.
With due respect to Dr. Mario, what fun is a walkoff celebration without a cloud of particulate matter flung in the general direction of the eyes of men whose livelihoods depend on hand-eye coordination? If you don’t like it, then as with many other things you don’t like, feel free to blame it on Josh Tomlin.
"I was like, 'That would be pretty bad if our star shortstop can't breathe and chokes out on the field,'" Tomlin said.
Um, yeah, Josh. That would be bad. Definitely bad.
Around the league
- FanGraphs has an amazingly math-y discussion of the strange unpredictability of MLB hitters this year
- The Nationals hit five damn homers in one inning in a game where they wound up hitting eight damn homers total
- The Rays did a thing by executing a minor trade for Lucas Duda
- The Royals are trying to do another thing, and apparently are in talks to acquire Francisco Liriano
- In case you didn’t already think Francisco Rodriguez was a turd, he’s being sued by his old landlord for generally being a turd