The Indians did a thing
Giants 2, Indians 1
A boring game was played, and one of the teams won. The team that won did so because the other team did more stupid things than they did. This was not a game won by a team thanks to great plays. It sucked
The details haven’t yet been hashed out - no word on who gets bumped out of the rotation, if anyone, or how Corey Kluber’s stiff neck issue could shuffle the rotation. But regardless, the Dzar is back. Yay... ?
The stoic one may not show emotion, but he hated his time on the DL. Fortunately, it may have had the welcome side effect of giving him the extra strength needed to help the Tribe make a serious playoff push. Let’s hope the stiff neck doesn’t derail that.
We knew replacing Lonnie Chisenhall would be near impossible (nb: who would’ve imagined that sentence before 2017?), but even replacing Jason Kipnis’ meager production will be difficult. Just how difficult? Michael Bode invesitigates.
A representative from each team is picked as a “preliminary winner” and one ultimate winner is voted on at the end of the year.
Around the league
The big news of the day was the continuing flurry of pre-trade deadline trades:
- The Tigers officially (finally) waved the white flag, trading J.D. Martinez to the Diamondbacks
- Fangraphs takes a stab at projecting the prospects in that trade
- Though Martinez is just a rental for Arizona, it was probably the right thing to do
- The Yankees acquired another (worse) Frazier and Daniel Robertson in exchange for prospects
- Fangraphs praised the Yankees’ move and their new “super bullpen”
There was also some distressing injury news for contenders: