The Cleveland Indians returned to Toronto yesterday for the first time since the 2016 ALCS. Things did not go as planned.
Indians 2, Blue Jays 4
Trevor Bauer lasted 6.0 innings during his start yesterday evening, but it took him over 100 pitches to get there and he gave up four earned runs in the process. All things considered, he could have been worse, but he could have been much better. But hey, at least Edwin got two hits in his return to Toronto.
This script is becoming familiar: Bauer starts a game for the Cleveland Indians, he has either a short outing or gives up a substantial amount of runs, and he says in the post game conference that he pitched well but lolbaseball. I’m a Trevor Bauer supporter, but many fans (including frequent flyers on this site) are wondering when “stuff” stops mattering and the focus shifts to actual, tangible results.
In a rare moment of class by the Toronto fans, Edwin Encarnacion was greeted to roars and cheers as he stepped to the plate in the Rogers Centre for the first time since the 2016 ALCS when he did so as a member of the Blue Jays. Hopefully they continue to cheer tonight when he mashes five home runs.
The headline I hoped that I would never see indicates that Cleveland’s ace and their staff left fielder are both still recovering after their respective injuries. Brantley could be back as early as this week, but Kluber may be out a little longer. Please come back soon, gentlemen.
Around the League
- Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Jameson Taillon had surgery on Monday for suspected testicular cancer. Here’s to a successful treatment and a speedy recovery, Jameson.
- Ryan Howard’s career may be over now that he has been cut from the Atlanta Braves’ AAA affiliate.
- *Sigh* of COURSE the Cubs get bailed out by a rainout after an 18-inning marathon that night before.
- Derek Jeter wishes that he had kept a journal during his entire career, supposedly to keep a record of how many gift baskets he’s purchased over the years.
- /u/n4rcotix has the graphical standings again, and they look pretty neat this week: