Baseball season couldn’t possibly be coming at a better time, particularly if you’re a Cleveland Cavs fan. There are thousands of reasons to be stoked for Opening Day, not the least of which being that LGT favourite Yandy Diaz was officially named a member of the Opening Day roster. LeBron who?
Tribe news & notes
In case you missed it on the breaking news banner, the huge front page story, and the link in my lede, Yandy Diaz officially made the big leagues! That’s all well and good, but the bigger news has sadly received little coverage: Michael Martinez will join Yandy on the Opening Day roster. As a condition on Diaz’ promotion, he is required to bring Martinez fired bologna sandwiches on demand.
Just in case you were excited about the big Yandy news, let Hoynsie bring you down a notch. Diaz did enough to convince Tito he was worth the gamble at 3B, but it sounds like he still hasn’t passed the ol’ eye test with Uncle Paul.
I don’t usually link to stuff from the Worldwide Leader, but this is an awesome long-form piece. This is the latest in the latest in a series of articles exalting the 2016 ALCS MVP as the catalyst of a bullpen usage revolution.
He may be eschewing the Klubot nickname, but he’s not blowing off the role he’s cemented as leader of the Tribe rotation. Corey Kluber is a cheerleader for the Indians rotation and their “all hands on deck” approach, which truly solidified in last year’s playoffs.
Other baseball news
- Mike Trout has no interest in being a superstar
- WFNY wonders why MLB tanking isn’t as frowned upon as it is in the NBA
- I’m a sucker for power rankings, even if some of you nerds don’t like them
- Yesterday’s Rockies/Padres game was interrupted by a swarm of bees (BEES?!)
- Apparently Rougned Odor is getting some horses as part of his contract extension
- Anthony Castrovince thinks Opening Day would be better as one day