Merry Christmas (Eve), Tribe fans!
The Tribe officially signed All-Star first baseman Yonder Alonso on Saturday to a 2 year/$16 million dollar contract. Alonso will make $7 million in 2018 and $8 million in 2019. If Yonder meets certain thresholds in 2019 (550 PAs in 2019 or 1,100 PAs across both years), he’ll get another $9 million in 2020, Otherwise, the Tribe has a $1 million buyout after the 2019 season.
Say what you will about Hoynes, but the Cleveland.com writer went to bat for Carlos Santana after some internet trolls had some poor responses to his farewell letter to the city and franchise that gave him a shot at the majors. Good on you, Paul.
Around the league
- The Nationals have finalized their deal with Matt Adams.
- Ichiro was asked if he would return to play baseball in Japan. He did not answer.
- MLB is not happy with Dan Le Batard after his interview with Rob Manfred.
- Dee Gordon is another player who is not happy with what’s going on in Miami.
- Carlos Santana wasn’t the only player to recently pen a letter to his former team: