Yesterday marked the final off day of the regular season for the Cleveland Indians. The next time that they do not play baseball, they will be getting ready for Game 1 of the ALDS, barring a historic, unprecedented collapse. With the magic number sitting at 7, there is a possibility that the Tribe could clinch the AL Central before heading off for their final road trip of the season. On the one hand, it would be great to clinch at home in front of a roaring crowd. On the other hand, it may be just as sweet to clinch the division at Comerica Park next week in front of thousands of disheartened Tigers fans. Either way works for me. And now, onto the news!
Unless the Cleveland Indians elect to implement the "closers as openers" strategy as laid out by our own Matt Schlichting, the Tribe will need four starters throughout the duration of the playoffs. One of those starters will most likely be rookie starter Mike Clevinger.
Indians' pitching coach Mickey Callaway hinted that both Corey Kluber and Trevor Bauer could each pitch on four days rest if need be. The proposition seems concerning if the plan is to have them continuously pitch on short rest for an extended duration.
Around the League
- Baseball just won't be the same as Vin Scully approaches his final broadcast.
- Madison Bumgarner apparently missed the #PuigYourFriend campaign.
- Ben Zobrist did something that every kid has dreamed of on his way to Wrigley Field.
- Rick Porcello wasn't exactly sure what the Baltimore third baseman was thinking after he accidentally hit Manny Machado:
"Why would I wanna hit you with that motherfucker coming up? Use your fucking head." https://t.co/710ugdAy61— Jared Carrabis (@Jared_Carrabis) September 20, 2016
- And finally, no graphical standings today. Instead, here's a postseason spectrum courtesy of
Reddit user /u/halomaceGrant Brisbee from his recent article on why you should be rooting for the Cleveland Indians in the playoffs (full article can be found here):