This is my second straight N&N after a day with no Indians baseball. I don’t understand why this keeps happening to me. The least the Indians could have done was make a trade yesterday, but Chernofetti didn’t even have the decency to do that. So, I mean, I’m gonna just do my best here to avoid talking about Pokémon and Trump and whatever.
Indians news & notes
Tyler Naquin has been needed power bat for Cleveland Indians | Waiting For Next Year - Naquin has taken the Indians - and the AL - by storm with his surprising display of power. What exactly changed for him after his June 2 recall from Columbus? Counter to what has long been considered effective, a shift toward more pull hitting seems to be doing the trick. Michael Bode crunches the numbers to make his case.
What makes each Indians starting pitcher so effective? | Cleveland.com - Obviously, the Indians have one of the best rotations in the league. Each one of its five members has their own unique approach, the key to their effectiveness. Zack Meisel examines what exactly makes these guys tick, and also takes a look at each pitcher’s “out” pitch with a nifty slideshow.
Albert Belle will miss induction into Indians Hall of Fame due to family vacation | Cleveland.com - Sounds like both sides did their best to make things work out, but Belle values his time with family. The legendary slugger isn’t worried about how fans would receive him, and contrary to Hamiltonian belief, it’s not because he hates us/Cleveland/America.
News from around the league
Hey, have you guys heard anything about this trade deadline thing? Seems interesting.
- Ken Rosenthal claims the White Sox were offered a “king’s ransom” for Chris Sale and turned it down
- But Rosenthal also argues that the Sox would be smart to tear it all down and prep for the future
- Fangraphs thinks now might be a good time to trade Evan Longoria (author’s note: read this, CLEFO!)
- Buster Olney collaborated with Mike & Mike to come up with nine ways to improve baseball; Craig Calcaterra tore it apart
- In response to that list, Commissioner Rob Manfred said he’d consider limiting the number of relievers that can be used in a game
- Matt Snyder goes down the rabbit hole speculating how the trade deadline would be different had Kyle Schwarber not had a season-ending injury
- There might maybe be a market for A-Rod at the deadline