It's such an odd feeling, having not watched a Tribe game since Sunday and knowing that there won't be one until Friday. I've taken this down time to plan some of the specifics for my Cleveland trip that my family and I are taking this August. As it stands now, I'll be seeing two games in Cleveland and one game in Lake County. With my luck, my fellow UCI Alumni Matt Esparza will have been promoted by the time I get to Lake County Captains Classic Park. But regardless, it's set to be a fun trip. Now, onto the news!
While the major league All-Stars convene in San Diego, the Eastern League stars will head to Canal Park in Akron, OH to compete in their All-Star game this coming Wednesday. Akron sends seven players for the Western Team: J.P. Feyereisen, Louis Head, Grant Sides, Jeremy Lucas, Nellie Rodriguez, Clint Frazier, and Bradley Zimmer.
Cody Allen was basically watching a trainwreck waiting to happen in the game in Toronto on July 1 because he was unable to pitch. He'll remember his 3DS next time (or I suppose now it would just be his phone for Pokemon Go).
Terry Pluto worries that the Tribe is running out of gas and that the toils of a long season could wear on players on the team who haven't really had any days off. Thankfully, one man can lift this huge burden off of the team, and his name is Michael Brantley. Get well soon, Dr. Smooth!
Around the League
- Giancarlo Stanton did what he does best in yesterday's Home Run Derby and was crowned the champion with 61 monster dongs. To put this in perspective, Stanton created quite the marketing nightmare for the Marlins' organization.
- #PitchersWhoRake may yet become a thing in 2017. Someone call Bartolo.
- Former New York Mets pitcher Jenrry Mejia is bringing a lawsuit to MLB in regards to his lifetime ban for PED usage.
- Some people say that David Ortiz is too good to retire after his age 40 season. David, for all of us, please, please just ride off into the sunset.
- And finally, the Cleveland Indians will enter the second half of the season in fantastic shape. Here it is visualized (courtesy of reddit user /u/n4tcotix):