The Indians keep on rolling, and now they’ve tied the franchise record for consecutive wins at 13. If they want to break that record, they’ll have their work cut out for them. They’ll send their #5 starter - ok, their #1e starter - up against the ace of Canada’s Team on Canada Day. Don’t like those odds? Then you must not have been watching for the past 13 games.
Indians 4, Blue Jays 1
I’ve said before that we’re running out of superlatives to describe our rotation, and now I’m even running that cliché phrase into the ground. Carlos Carrasco shut down the fourth best offense in the American League with an insane 14 strikeout performance. Rajai Davis and Jason Kipnis both homered as the Indians did just enough against knuckleballer R.A. Dickey to put the Tribe on top.
Indians news & notes
Tribe weighs trade options with Brantley progressing | Indians.com - Jay Bruce, as has been reported, is now willing to waive his no-trade clause to potential come to the Indians. But CleFO is increasingly confident in Michael Brantley’s ability to make an impact in the second half of the season. And why go Bruce when you can stay smooth?
Indians ride Cookie express to 13th straight: DMan’s report | Cleveland.com - Dennis Manoloff breaks down game 78 in a hail of bullet points, including a blow-by-blow of every one of Carrasco’s 14 strikeouts.
A look back at the Indians’ free agency moves | Waiting For Next Years - The Indians took some flak (as usual) from dummies (as usual) for not making a big enough splash in free agency this past offseason. But guess what, haters? These dudes ended up better than you thought they would.
News from around the league
- Fangraphs picks the 2016 AL All-Star team based on (mostly) merit, and there are still no Tribe starters :-(
- Fangraphs also suspects that this may be the end for Alex Rodriguez
- The stupid Tigers made a bonkers 9th inning comeback to beat the Rays
- The Red Sox might face penalties for some of their international signings
- The contending (!) Marlins traded for a somehow revitalized Fernando Rodney (!!)
- Phillies prospect Matt Imhof has lost his eye after a traumatic injury during training [author’s note: sweet baby Jesus...]
- The class A West Michigan Whitecaps wore some insane emoji uniforms Thursday night [author’s note: ]
- The player’s union didn’t want him to take a hitter’s place, so Madison Bumgarner will not be allowed to participate in the Homerun Derby [author’s note: LO(N)L]
- Some loser Yankees fan failed to catch two homers in a row [author’s note: this man is a fine representative of the Yankees fanbase]