Well, they tried. Despite a bold proclamation from Terry Francona earlier today, the Tribe will indeed not play their first game of the year against the Boston Red Sox today. Instead, the game will be postponed until tomorrow due to the inclimate weather.
There was not a very high chance of snow during the game (somewhere around 20-30 percent), although some snowfall had occurred earlier today and scattered flurries are expected throughout the Cleveland region. However, the temperature would have hovered right around freezing and it may be better to hold off on all those Opening Day festivities until the team knows for sure that they can go through with the entire game.
Tomorrow is looking to be a little bit better, at least. Temperature wise, it should still be in the low-30s, but it is expected to be sunny with little-to-no precipitation. Still not ideal baseball weather, but probably better than they would have had today.
On Wednesday, for what it's worth, temperatures are expected to reach as high as 50 degrees. Luckily the Tribe will already be on a six-game road trip when even worse weather hits late in the week.
Fans who purchased an Opening Day ticket will be able to attend the game tomorrow or choose from one of several other games throughout the months of April and May. The last opportunity to attend a make-up game, a 6:10 p.m. game against the Cincinnati Reds, will be on Tuesday, May 17. More information can be found below, courtesy of Indians beat writer Jordan Bastian.
Information on today's postponement: pic.twitter.com/5HOfQfBXRs— Jordan Bastian (@MLBastian) April 4, 2016