A substantial portion of the team is hanging out in Arizona, and we're all stuck in not-Arizona. But at least we've got fresh news & notes to read every morning!
Tribe-related news & notes
Allen, Shaw can expect more spring innings | Indians.com - Terry Francona has been cautious with the Tribe's two most heavily-used relievers in the past. This season, Cody Allen and Bryan Shaw are hoping to ramp up early and avoid repeating their slow starts from last year.
Who will win the fifth spot in the Indians' rotation? (video) | Cleveland.com - Josh Tomlin and Cody Anderson are the leading candidates for the spot, but there's a handful of other guys in the mix. Paul Hoynes and Zack Meisel chat about who is best suited to cover the back end of the rotation, which was a sloppy mess last year.
Enjoying the 2016 Indians by keeping expectations low | Waiting for Next Year - One of WFNY's many hardcore Browns fans extolls the virtues of having low expectations for the Indians. I mean hey, they almost never make a big offseason splash like their well-run football counterparts.
Morimando making his way to the big leagues | Did The Tribe Win Last Night? - With the Indians rotation notably lacking in left-handedness, Shawn Morimando's ascent through the minor leagues is certainly intriguing. With a strong season in AA Akron last year, the 23 year-old Morimando is making a serious challenge for a rotation spot in Columbus.
Former Indian Russell Branyan convicted of trespassing at ex-wife's home | Cleveland.com - Yeah, probably not a good post-career path for the former slugger...
Tidbits from around MLB
- After their fluke World Series victory, the Royals rewarded Ned Yost and Dayton Moore with contract extensions
- Aroldis Chapman is making history for all the wrong reasons, planning to be the first to challenge MLB's new domestic violence policy
- Mets manager Terry Collins went on a hilarious anti-statistics rant that would have made the boys at Fire Joe Morgan (RIP) proud
- Fangraphs readily admits its rampant east-cast bias
- FG also has some fun analyzing how badly an average Joe would hurt an MLB team over the course of a week
- Police have arrested the LA man responsible for assaulting a Mets fan after NLDS Game 1
- Fox Sports published a list of most miserable sports fanbases, which is full of utter BS
- Chris Gimenez recounts a Final Destination-like near-death experience (and, to a lesser extent, recounts his wild ride to finding his place in the big leagues)
- Shock of the day: the COO of the Yankees is a complete tool
- Finally, everyone's favourite scrapper, Nick Punto, has retired