With the playoffs out of the picture, it's safe for the Indians to start winning games again. Here's some more news about that and the teams that actually still have playoff hopes:
Yesterday's game: Indians 6, Twins 3
Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana provided the fireworks, and Cody Anderson pitched a hell of a game to help the Indians cruise to a victory
- LGT recap (Jason Lukehart)
- Cleveland.com recap (Paul Hoynes)
- Indians.com recap (Rhett Bollinger and Betsy Helfand)
Indians news & notes
Now healthy, Tomlin has reemerged as quality starter for Tribe | Did The Tribe Win Last Night? - Josh Tomlin hasn't always been a model of consistency for the Indians, but he's found some sort of magic this year in his handful of starts. His solid performance ha softened the blow of Trevor Bauer's disappointing season, but is it likely to last?
Gavin Floyd open to re-signing with Tribe | Cleveland.com - Gavin Floyd threw two and two thirds scoreless innings in Wednesday's loss, and Terry Francona is impressed with the progress he's made. Floyd says he's enjoyed getting to know the team and the city, and he'd be willing to come back for 2016.
Brantley may rejoin lineup by weekend | Indians.com - There's no firm date set for his return, but it appears there's no plan to rest him through the end of the season.
Tidbits from around MLB
- The Royals clinched their first division title in 30 years, but they lost their closer for the rest of the season/post-season
- Fangraphs ranks all thirty minor league systems, and puts the Indians in fourth place thanks to the quiet buildup of talent they've accumulated over the last few years (are the Tribe's draft woes finally over?)
- FG also tries to project Twins mega prospect and recent call-up Max Kepler
- In Dave Dombrowski's first move as new Red Sox president, he's promoted Assistant GM Mike Hazen to be the new GM; this may have implications for LGFT (and UCLA Bruin) Toery Luvullo
- Manny Machado called Jonathan Papelbon a "coward," despite the thousand other worse words he could have used, after Papelbon threw at hime in Wednesday's game
- David Ortiz secretly wishes he was a porn star