Yesterday I was contacted by Keith Woolner, Director of Baseball Analytics for the Indians, who let me know there is an opening in his department, and asking if I would spread the word. (He must know we cater to a brighter and more capable sort of Tribe fan than many other sites!)
In turning me into a headhunter, I believe I'll be entitled to 10% of your pay if you get the job, but I've told Keith that I'm willing to settle for two tickets to a game next season and Carlos Santana's autograph.
Jokes aside, the job opportunity is real, and is for a full-time position. Here is more information:
Developer, Baseball Systems
The Cleveland Indians are seeking a Developer of Baseball Systems to join the Baseball Software Development team in building baseball applications and transitioning existing systems to web and mobile applications. We are looking for someone to collaborate with Baseball personnel, along with colleagues and peers on the Information Systems team, to rapidly deliver working software and tools for Baseball users. The position will focus on ideation, delivery, break/fix and everything in between.
The Cleveland Indians look to hire individuals who are committed to our organizational values: Respect, Trust, Empowerment, Ownership,Collaboration, Innovation, Excellence, Integrity and Empathy. If you believe you possess these important values, please consider a career with the Cleveland Indians. Please visit www.indians.com/jobs for more information and to apply online.
*All applicants must apply online through Indians website in order to be considered.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Work closely with Baseball Operations and Information Systems personnel to design, develop, and improve new and existing baseball applications
· Create tests and documentation for bug fixes and new application features/functions
· Design and develop dashboards and various analytical tools to directly support front office and field personnel
· Build and/or support mobile-friendly user interfaces and experiences
· Build and/or support web services and business-layer applications that speak to both back end databases and front-end interfaces
· Provide development support and guidance to Baseball Operations power users and general support to all
Baseball Ops front-office and field personnel, as needed
· Examine and where appropriate, prototype new technologies in the pursuit of creating competitive advantages through software, applications and tools
· Work closely with Data Architects and Infrastructure/Operations resources on the Information Systems team to ensure secure, scalable and high-performing applications
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field is preferred
· Minimum of 3 years experience working as a developer/software engineer
· Experience with both front- and back-end development
· Experience with service oriented architectures
· Experience in software development in a web-based development environment
· Knowledge and experience with programming in Microsoft.NET languages
· Extensive general knowledge and experience with computer system hardware, networks, operating systems and business applications software
· Knowledge of Microsoft SQL server database design, programming and access methods
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
· Experience with Tableau a plus
· Experience working with baseball data or delivering sports analysis tools and/or applications is a plus
In case you missed the link above, you can click here to apply online. I know many of us grew up dreaming of playing shortstop or centerfield for the Indians, but if you're like me, you're gradually accepting that neither of those things is going to happen. Working for the team in another capacity would still be awfully cool, and I know some of you have the requisite skills. Tell them Jason sent you.