Jason Kipnis played his 500th career game on Friday and celebrated with 4 hits and 3 runs scored. His 501st game was pretty awesome, too.
Kipnis was 3-for-6 Saturday night with a double and a 2-run game winning homer. Kipnis is putting up crazy numbers left and right; here are some of them:
Jason Kipnis News and Notes
• His game-winning homer was 435 feet—the longest of his career.
• He tied Riggs Stephenson's 1924 Indians club record by reaching base 3+ times in 7 consecutive games. Riggs was apparently one heck of a hitter. David Wright did it in 2009; Lukehart's enemy in 1996.
• Kipnis has a 1.419 OPS in May along with these other absurd numbers.
• Kipnis hopes to set the tone at the top of what he calls a "contagious lineup". I'd say he's doing a decent job.
Mere Mortals News and Notes
• Max Scherzer faced Andrew Cashner yesterday. The matchup was great on paper, but the game was never really close. Washington got 3 in the first off of Cashner and won 4-1. Scherzer now has a 1.75 ERA in his first season after leaving Detroit.
• Detroit's new starter Shane Greene had an MRI taken on his elbow. He called it a red flag.
• This is now a daily occurence, but Giancarlo Stanton hit another absurd home run yesterday.
• Dee Gordon is doing a decent Jason Kipnis impression his past 17 games. Meh.
Ahahahahahahahahaha News and Notes (#Amaro)
INF Jayson Nix has been acquired from the Baltimore Orioles for cash considerations. Nix will report to @IronPigs.
— Phillies (@Phillies) May 16, 2015