• John McDonald will serve as a special assistant for the Indians in 2015. He will initially specialize in "minor league infield development."
• It took until February of 2015, but Mother Nature finally tired of Dustin Pedroia yesterday. Here's Boston's favorite midget, buried in a mound of snow:
Snowfall this January in Boston now up to Gronk’s chin. But Pedroia won’t thaw out until spring. (via @BostonGlobe) pic.twitter.com/cDvVR1Mv9k— Yoni Appelbaum (@YAppelbaum) February 10, 2015
• Now onto more likeable second basemen, Jason Kipnis tweeted this encouraging update on his rehab:
Finally swinging a bat!! Day 2 of tee work in the books! Body and finger both feeling better everyday! #outherewaitingforpeople #letsgooo— Jason Kipnis (@TheJK_Kid) February 10, 2015
• Bastian bravely surveyed twitter on its preference for a Tribe batting order. Here are the results. It's surprising Carlos Santana made the starting 9 at all, given that 75 percent does not hit 30 home runzzz.
• The Braves signed Matt Capps. And Jose Veras.
• Victor Martinez is out 4-6 weeks after undergoing successful surgery on his knee. I believe this is better news for the Tigers than some expected.
• In what sounds like a story you'd only hear about the Phillies, Mets or Twins, the "Blue Jays and Tigers have never discussed a trade involving Dioner Navarro." Hey, it's fine with me if these are the types of guys you're going to be linked to but not be able to land, Mr. Dombrowski.