I am writing this news and notes Monday night, and based on how fast rumors have flown today, I'm sure I'll miss a few. Regardless, here is a quick rundown of what happened in a busy first day of the 2016 Winter Meetings, including several Cleveland Indians rumors, a couple signings and (surprise!) a Jerry Dipoto trade.
- Brantley's return schedule affects offseason planning | MLB
The Indians are still maintaining Brantley's original April/May return window, despite several reports to the contrary. Let's hope they are right, and not hiding anything.
- Cleveland Indians outfield prospect Clint Frazier named to Arizona Fall League's Top Prospects team | Cleveland
More accolades for Tribe prospect Clint Frazier, who was named to the AFL Top Prospects team. Congrats, Red Thunder!
- Estimating a Carlos Carrasco Contract | Wahoo's on First
A really interesting thought experiment from Andrew Schmid of Wahoo's on First: What would Carlos Carrasco earn if he were a free agent in this pitcher-friendly free agent class.
- Cleveland Indians rumors: 2016 hot stove tracker | Let's Go Tribe
Don't forget, if you want to keep up with all the Indians moves and rumors of the 2015 Winter Meetings, check out our hot stove tracker.
Around the league
- Police report: Aroldis Chapman fired gunshots, 'choked' girlfriend in domestic incident | Yahoo! Sports
At one point on Monday, it looked as if the Los Angeles Dodgers had acquired Aroldis Chapman. Then it looked like they may not have, but we did not know what was holding it up. Now we know.
- Red Sox Turn Wade Miley Into Potential Bullpen Ace | FanGraphs
Jerry Dipoto's unending love for trading players may have gotten the best of him with this one.
- The Disaster A’s Bullpen Might Not Be a Disaster Anymore | FanGraphs
Did the A's manage to fix their bullpen?
- GM Hoyer: Cubs 'in the right,' not worried about Kris Bryant's grievance | ESPN
Holding a player in the minor leagues just to get an extra year out of them is always kind of shady, but the Cubs feel they did nothing wrong in the situation with NL Rookie of the Year, Kris Bryant. Should they be found in the wrong, it could have some big ramifications going forward.
- Marlins seemingly would need 'absurd haul' to trade Jose Fernandez | FOX Sports
The Miami Marlins could easily just say "no, Jose Fernandez is not available," but they are the Marlins so they need to get as much drama and attention out of his as possible.
- MLBPA files grievance over suspension of Nats' Papelbon | FOX Sports
The Washington Nationals had the audacity to not pay Jonathan Papelbon after he choked his teammate and now they should pay, or something.