I know you were all glued to last night's annual edition of The Game Awards, but there was some baseball stuff that happened, too. Let's talk about that.
Indians news & notes
Indians have interest in free-agent sluggers Pedro Alvarez, Chris Carter | Cleveland.com - Both of the recently non-tendered sluggers could provide the Tribe with a low average, high power potential bat, but that is precisely it. Picking up one of these dudes could mean committing to the first full-time DH since Pronk.
Toronto names Ross Atkins as GM | Cleveland.com - The Tribe's head scout is Mark Shapiro's latest nepotistic hire in Toronto, leaving a pretty big hole to fill. As VP of player personnel and, previously, director of player development, Atkins deserves a large chunk of credit for the success of Jason Kipnis, Francisco Lindor, Danny Salazar, and more.
Indians happy for new Toronto GM Atkins | Indians.com - Well yeah, of course they have to say they're happy, but as I said above, the organization has some big shoes to fill. The interesting tidbit here is that even Chris Antonetti was surprised by Alex Anthopoulos leaving Toronto.
Tidbits from around MLB
- Cliff Lee's agent says Cliff wants to pitch again in 2016, if he can find the right fit; hey Cliff, wanna come back to the place that made ya famous?
- The Diamondbacks have unveiled seven new uniforms for 2016 - SEVEN! - and every single one of them makes me want to vomit
- Yahoo Japan reports that the Hiroshima Carp plan to post right-hander Kenta Maeda, who is expected to draw a reasonable amount of interest
- Local Boston media talks to Jonny Gomes about whether David Price will be able to handle... local Boston media
- Price may be the Red Sox' newest toy, but he's still on the cover of the Blue Jays 2016 calendar - whomp, whomp
- The Nats are expected to shop Yunel Escobar at the Winter Meetings