No baseball until March. Hold me.
Last night's baseball
And so it begins. With the World Series over, the off-season is kicking off with the lone three Indians free agents filing for their chance to sign with other teams. Hopefully.
They stumbled a bit at the very end, but overall, the Indians had a solid finish to an otherwise disappointing 2015 season. That's something to build upon for next season.
Around the league
- 'What have they won in Cleveland?' Mark Shapiro's tenure in Toronto off to a dramatic start | Cleveland
Oh boy. This could not be Anthopoulos could it? I cannot imagine going off the rails just after leaving the club like that, but either way, someone is peeved and they are not afraid to say it.
- Royals open 2016 Season at Home vs the Mets. Will raise World Series flag in front of the team they defeated. | Reddit
Reddit user Kleon333 made a point that is amusing as a neutral party but depressing if you are a Mets fan. The two World Series teams face off against each other in Kansas City to start 2016, so the Royals will be raising their Championship banner in front of the team they won it against. Ouch.
- The Royals Were Historically Clutch (Obviously) | Fangraphs
Blindly saying a team or player was "clutch" is usually a low-key way of saying "I don't know why this team won but wow they scored a lot." Except, in this case, it's actually true. The Royals were clutch.
- Marlins welcome Don Mattingly as 'right long-term solution' | ESPN
"Stability" and "Marlins" do not usually go together, but Miami hopes that newly-hired manager Don Mattingly can bring that magic s-word the state of Florida.
- Royals’ Moore Pushed For Continuity, Sustainability | Baseball America
Remember when everyone thought Dayton Moore was going to be fired after the Royals traded for James Shields two years ago? Yeah, that was a long time ago.