The All-Star break is over, and the AL has once again asserted its dominance in the most meaningful game of the season. After a four-day break for 24 of the 25 men on the Indians roster, it's time to get back into the swing of things. Here's what's going on as baseball activity resumes:
Indians news & notes
Masty's road back to the majors
Finally ready to face competition on his level, Justin Masterson will make a rehab start for the AAA Columbus Clippers on Sunday. Nursing a sore right knee, Masterson will not be on a limited pitch count as he works his way back to the majors. On the DL since July 8 - his first career DL stint - the big Jamaican is pleased with his progress and is ready to get back to "pounding the zone."
Rotation, rotation, rotation
The Tribe's rotation has been a bit of a revolving door this season, and the only thing that's certain is what's happening this weekend. Emerging star Trevor Bauer will take the hill against Detroit tonight, Corey Kluber and Zach McAllister will start a twin bill on Saturday, and Josh Tomlin will go on Sunday. But where does Danny Salazar fit in the mix? He had a promising outing on Thursday night, and Zach Mesisel thinks the young fireballer could be a key component as the Indians settle on a set of five "regulars" in the second half.
Terry Francona was alike a proud papa bird watching Michael Brantley out in the field, getting "emotional" when the Tribe's lone All-Star came to bat in Tuesday's game. Speaking of emotions, Jesus Aguilar has come a long way as a prospect and was honored to represent the Indians in the AAA All-Star game.
Tidbits from around MLB
- Fangraphs lists numbers 20-11 on their trade value list which, sadly, features no Indians players
- They also break down TV ratings for all non-Canadian teams and show that, surprisingly, Indians TV viewership has increased in 2014
- Joe Posnanksi recounts the history of the Boudreau shift
- Sports On Earth profiles Giancarlo Stanton, who may not keep his talents in South Beach for too long
- Tracy McGrady has retired from a sport he was not very good at
- The Padres AAA affiliate El Paso Chihuahuas unveiled the worst uniforms ever created
- The Mariners and Rays are discussing a trade involving David Price and Ben Zobrist