- Grady Sizemore plans on playing in 2014. There doesn't appear to be room for him in the outfield, but that could change—Drew Stubbs might not be worth the money he'd get in arbitration. Also, he could DH when Carlos spells Gomes, or perhaps learn to play first base and let us unload Swisher's contract.
- Minor league free agent David Cooper agreed to terms with the Indians. His "deal with #indians includes a late August opt out clause if he's not added to big league roster" which is a bit strange for a guy with such a low profile. Here is an article that calls him a "medical marvel" and details his career-saving surgery.
- Top 4 AL rookies in Fangraphs WAR:
1. Yan Gomes
2. David Lough
3. Wil Myers
4. Leonys Martin
(as of 9:30 PM Tuesday)
- Speaking of rookies, the red-hot Royals ran into a fantastic one last night in Jose Fernandez. They got only 3 hits in 7 innings off the 21-year-old. And lost 1-0 in 10 innings.
- Ryan Raburn broke out of his mini-slump last night with a walk and a 2-run homer. He needs one more homer to match Andy Marte's post-pitching power output.
doesn't seem like a trade candidate at this moment, but Barry Zito has cleared waivers. 7 weeks left on $126M, 7-yr deal.This year, away from home, batters are 'hitting' .406(!) off of Zito. No, not .406!. Likewise, hitters have a 1.065 OPS and .453 BABIP against Zito in places not abbreviated SF.
- Chicago beat Detroit in extra innings on a walkoff De Aza single. Good to see that guy not killing the Tribe for once.
August 14 News and Notes: Cooper, Sizemore, Gomes