How can I rationally explain this game? I can't. Ubaldo Jimenez throws seven shutout innings? Ryan Raburn goes 4-for-4 with two homers? Even the most naive optimist with a gallon of Kool-Aid in his gullet wouldn't come up with this script. So the heck with rationalization; embrace tonight's irrationality!
- Jason Kipnis got things going with a home run in the first inning off of Royals starter Wade Davis, and the Indians would have scored at least one more run if not for a fine throw to the plate by Lorenzo Cain.
- The Indians collected another run in the third, but by the fifth inning, it seemed as though all those missed opportunities would come back to bite the Indians. After all, Ubdaldo was pitching....
- But Ubaldo was going through the Kansas City lineup like a hot knife through butter. His fastball was in the mid-90s, his curve was tight and in the strike zone (or was it a slider?), and his changeup was fooling practically everyone. He hardly used his splitter. Very good batters had defensive swings against Jimenez.
- The Indians broke the game open in the fifth inning. Asdrubal Cabrera doubled home the third run of the game, and Mark Reynolds had a key two-out, opposite-field single that made the score 5-0. Then Ryan Raburn removed all doubt with a three-run homer.
- Jimenez only allowed an infield single through his first seven innings. He ran out of gas in the eighth, but Nick Hagadone cleaned up the mess to keep JImenez's outing scoreless.
- Despite all the low points on this road trip, the Indians head home 5-4, ending with consecutive fine outings from Corey Kluber and Ubaldo Jimenez. Justin Masterson was actually the pitcher who had the bad outing in this series.
Roll Call (49 Commenters)
|8||Mr. Bad Example||22|
|43||The Lame Ranger||1|
I would be remiss if I didn't include a couple nominees for this week's Soylent Green is People.
In reference to Wednesday's Trevor Bauer/Cliff Lee matchup:
When the score was still 1-0:
by no1ever on Apr 29, 2013 | 8:48 PM reply rec (3) flag actions
We wear caps and sleeves at this level, son. Understood?
This exchange happened a bit later in the game...
by westbrook on Apr 29, 2013 | 9:59 PM up reply rec (3) flag actions
"I can very easily see a scenario in a couple of months where we’re talking about our starting rotation as a strength.’’ –CA
yburn's misspelling curse has been commuted.